The environment we sleep in plays a huge role in how well we sleep each night. If you can remember laying in your bed on a hot summer night, it was likely not a pleasant slumber. That’s because we humans require particular surroundings to get optimal Zzzs.
What role does temperature play in sleep?
Temperature plays a big role in our natural process of going to sleep. As our brains produce melatonin, our bodies respond by becoming (on average) a degree or two colder. As we get closer to bedtime, our body temperature decreases. This is to help bring on sleep. Having a cooler bedroom can help move this process along. A cool room leads to much healthier sleep habits compared to a warm room.
What’s the ideal sleeping temperature?
Scientists have learned that trying to sleep when you’re too hot or cold can be difficult because our bodies crave a certain ideal temperature for sleep. Our experts recommend that you keep your room between 60-68 degrees Fahrenheit.
Experts also suggest that you keep your room as cave-like as possible. So in addition to keeping your bedroom temperature in the ideal zone, you should also keep it dark and quiet. Block out any unnatural light from nearby streetlights from the neighborhood. Turn off all the LED lights from devices in your room, and work on soundproofing your room to the best of your ability.
Are there products that can help me sleep better when it’s hot out?
Absolutely! The experts at SleepScore Labs tested hundreds of products to find only the very best solutions for every sleep need. Our curated selection of products to help during warm summer months include:
- Sleep Optimizer ChiliPad– perfect for cooling your mattress to your desired temperature
- BedJet Dual Zone Climate Comfort System– ideal for couples who prefer different sleeping temperatures
- BedJet Cloud Sheet – the perfect accessory to the BedJet Comfort System, these sheets allow the best distribution of air for maximum comfort.
- Dagsmejan moisture wicking sleepwear – feel right all night with optimal cooling, breathable materials in stylish styles for men and women.
- See all of our curated and validated products in the SleepScore Store!
Once you have the ideal bedroom environment dialed in, you should start to see higher quality of Zzzs! Learn more about creating the ultimate sleep sanctuary, how artificial light can affect your sleep, and more in our articles!